If you’re wondering how to block websites on iPhone and iPad, chances are you’ve come across a site that you’d rather not watch anymore. Or you have children that you want to keep safe online. After all, there is a lot of great content, but also a lot of bad stuff!
However, stick to Safari as your browser of choice and you can easily filter out unwanted websites. In addition to blocking adult content, you can make certain sites inaccessible. You can also go the other way by getting a handful of websites outlawed. These are based on a list that you can tailor to your circumstances.
How to Block Websites on iPhone: Access Web Content Settings
In all cases, the website blocking features are within Screen Time, so to make use of one of the three features explained below, you need to follow these four steps first.
1. Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad and tap Screen Time†
2. Select Enable Screen Time if it’s not already enabled and follow the on-screen instructions to set it up. Otherwise, tap Content & Privacy Restrictions†
3. Enable the Content & Privacy Restrictions button in the “on” (green) position.
4. Tap Web Content†
How to Block Websites on iPhone: Restrict Adult Websites in Safari
Now that you know how to access the web content settings, you can start blocking websites.
The easiest option is to use Apple’s own list of adult websites. This prevents you (or anyone else) from using Safari on an iPhone or iPad to view adult content.
1. Follow the above steps (concerning web content settings) and tap Restrict adult websites†
2. If you find that this restricts some websites that you want to keep visible, tap Add website below Always allow.
3. You can then type the URL of the site you want to see. Tap Done and tap Web content to go back to the previous screen.
How to Block Specific Websites on iPhone and iPad
You can also go ahead and select specific websites that you want to block. These will be in addition to the list of adult websites collected by Apple.
1. Follow the above steps (concerning web content settings) then tap Restrict adult websites†
2. utilities tap Add website below Never allow†
3. Type the URL from the site you don’t want to view and tap Done† You can then tap Web content to go back to the previous screen.
How to Show Only Specific Websites on iPhone and iPad
The third way to restrict access to online content is to block almost each website, before making certain ones visible.
1. Follow the above steps (concerning web content settings) and tap Only allowed websites†
2. Now, among the list of websites that Apple automatically allows, tap Add website†
3. Enter the website title you want to allow and enter the URL of the website† Tap Done and tap Web content to go back to the previous screen.
And that’s it. You should now be able to determine which approach works best for you. If you want to use a different browser, check out how to block a website in chrome† You can also say goodbye to annoying ads thanks to the best ad blockersto learn how to disable the pop-up blocker in your browserand, for good measure, pick out how to block spam calls on iphone†