Warren man injured in house explosion was building explosive, says ‘arsenal’ commissioner

An investigation in an explosion that injured a Warren man in his garage over the weekend has become a criminal investigation after police discovered guns, ammunition and evidence of bomb construction inside the home.

The man who was injured, identified as Michael Liburdi, suffered burns to more than half of his body and lost his hand in the explosion.

If he survives, Warren Police Commissioner Bill Dwyer said he will have to be nursed in a hospital bed for months — as well as felony charges.

The 38-year-old was working in his garage when police were called to his home near Eight Mile and Gratiot on Saturday afternoon. The blast shocked the neighborhood and left the house with visible damage.

“We just heard a loud bang, we didn’t know what it was,” said Catherine Dubose.

“(He) came out with a finger full of blood – came out talking about ‘where’s my dog,'” said another neighbor.

Local residents say the dog made it through, but Liburdi lost a hand and now has several second and third degree burns on much of his body.

According to Dwyer, the investigation has uncovered several alarming pieces of evidence that suggest he may have been planning something more sinister.

“What I find alarming is you have a combination of explosives, he had a whole arsenal of weapons, he had 4,000 ammunition,” he said.

More evidence was found in the house, but Dwyer said he wouldn’t explain exactly what was found.

Michael Liburdi, 38, was injured in an explosion at his home in Warren. Police are now investigating what he did leading up to the explosion.

Liburdi was on a federal waiting list when the blast went off, Dwyer said. The commissioner also said Liburdi may be part of a domestic terrorism investigation, but said it could not be proven at this time.

“All indications are that the explosives were dangerous to be used for criminal activities. We are very lucky that no other people were injured,” he said.

The commissioner theorized that Liburdi may have been “fortifying his house.”

LAKE: Detroit man charged with torture after strangling and sexually abusing girlfriend

Dwyer went so far as to say the explosion may have “avoided something worse”, calling it a “lucky break”.

Police issued a second search warrant at the person’s home on Monday. Once an investigation is completed, the indictment documents will be sent to the Macomb County Prosecutors Office.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.