Yesterday, Apple started selling the M2 MacBook Pro. As a new era of Apple silicon begins, the company has also released its first USB-C dual power adapters, introduced a few weeks ago. during the WWDC 2022 keynote† If you’re buying a compatible Mac or just want a dual USB-C power adapter from Apple, here’s what you need to know.
Apple published a support page on using the 35W Dual USB-C Port Power Adapter (via MacRumors), which gives us some great insights into how useful this power adapter can be when charging an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or even a Mac.
It’s important to note that the company offers two models of the 35W Dual USB-C Port Power Adapter: a regular version that looks like a MacBook adapter and a compact version – as seen above.
While charging one device it is easy to understand, but when charging two devices things can change. Apple says that when you plug in two products, “power is automatically split between them based on their power requirements. For most devices, if you charge two devices at the same time, power is evenly distributed.”
Apple gives three examples of how the dual USB-C power adapter would work with some of its products:
- If you connect a Mac notebook and an iPhone or iPad, each device receives a maximum of 17.5 W;
- If you connect an iPhone and an iPad, each device will receive a maximum of 17.5W;
- If you have a Mac notebook or iPhone and an Apple Watch or AirPodsthe Mac notebook or iPhone receives up to 27.5W and the Apple Watch or AirPods up to 7.5W.
As Apple reveals that newer iPhones charge fast with the 20W Power Adapterit’s important to say that they will also benefit from faster charging with a 17.5W option.
When things don’t go as expected, the company shares a few tips for charging a device faster with the 35W USB-C power adapter:
- Try charging one device to make sure your device can get the most power from your power adapter.
- If you are only charging one device, disconnect any charging cable that is not in use.
- Try a different charging cable, preferably the one that came with your device.
- Make sure your devices don’t require more than 35W of power, which is the maximum amount of power the power adapter can deliver.
- If your device is still not charging, your device may not meet the latest USB PD specifications.
Find the Dual USB-C Power Adapter in the Apple Online Store here†
Are you planning to buy one? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.
FTC: We use auto affiliate links that generate revenue. More.